Delaware Health, Legal, And End-Of-Life Resources
Important health, legal, and end-of-life planning forms and information for people living in First State.
Whether you’re planning for yourself or someone else, the resources below are vital when it comes to organizing and settling an estate in Delaware.
Advance Directive Form
Order Death Certificates
Death Certificate instructions for Delaware. For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Death Certificate ordering information.
Digital Estate Planning Laws
Law: Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets and Digital Accounts Act - House Bill # 345 w/HA 1 + SA 1
Description: Upon written request, "fiduciaries" (i.e. Power of Attorney, Executor, Trustee, otherwise authorized individual) are granted access and control of the digital assets and digital accounts of an incapacitated or deceased person. This includes every digital asset currently in existence (email, social media accounts, online shopping, photos, videos, etc...) and ones that have yet to be invented. Once the digital service provider ("custodian") receives a written request along with certified proof (letter of testamentary or administration, court order, Power of Attorney form, Trust instrument) they must provide access to transfer, copy, or destroy the account.
Status: Passed June 30, 2014; Effective January 1, 2015
(Click here for the full text of the Bill)
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Digital Estate Planning Laws.
Death With Dignity Legislation (a.k.a. Aid-In-Dying or Physician-Assisted Death)
- Delaware has no legislation
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Death With Dignity Legislation.
Organ Donation Registries
DMOST (Delaware Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment) Form
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state POLST forms.
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Probate Laws.
Estate And Inheritance Tax Rate
- Delaware has a 0.8%-16% estate tax rate (exemption threshold: $5.49 million)
For estate and inheritance tax in other states see our complete list of state-by-state Estate And Inheritance Tax Rates.
- All You Need To Know About Advance DirectivesWhen you can’t make health decisions for yourself, this is the north star...Read more
- Trusts Cheat SheetTrust us when we say this is as basic as we can make Trusts.Read more
- How To Create A Do Not Resuscitate Order (DNR)A DNR is a medical order that states you don't want cardiopulmonary...Read more
- How Organ Donation WorksIf the person who died was a registered organ donor, measures will be taken...Read more