How To Include The Participation Of Family And Friends In The Funeral Or Memorial Service
A funeral or memorial service is a time for family and friends to remember and honor the life of the person who died.
Participation Of Friends Or Family Members
As you plan the funeral or memorial service, keep in mind the people you would like to participate in the service and what you would like their roles to be.
Common ways for people to participate include:
- Serving as a pallbearer
- Offering a eulogy, tribute, or other speech
- Reading a poem, prayer, or literary selection
- Singing a song or playing a piece of music
- Hosting a post-service reception
Special Features Of The Service
Keep in mind if there are any special touches you’d like to bring to the funeral or memorial service, such as music, flowers, a photo slideshow, or a video tribute.
If you will be following any religious or cultural traditions, many aspects of the funeral or memorial service may already be prescribed. Consult your local clergy or view our article Religious Funeral Traditions.
- How To Express Sympathy: What To Say And What...We’ve compiled a list of things to say—and things to avoid saying—when...Read more
- A Quick Overview Of Proper Funeral EtiquetteFunerals are emotionally complex, and knowing how to act can present a...Read more
- 10 Things To Do After A DeathIt’s a difficult time, emotions are raw and there’s a lot to organize.Read more
- What To Wear To A Funeral Or Memorial ServiceIn many cultures black is the traditional color of mourning, however the...Read more