Washington, D.C. (District of Columbia) Health, Legal, And End-Of-Life Resources
Important health, legal, and end-of-life planning forms and information for people living in The Nation’s Capital.
Whether you’re planning for yourself or someone else, the resources below are vital when it comes to organizing and settling an estate in Washington, D.C. (District of Columbia).
Advance Directive Form
Order Death Certificates
Death Certificate instructions for Washington D.C. For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Death Certificate ordering information.
Digital Estate Planning Laws
Law: Council Bill 230141, Uniform Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Act of 2019
Description: This allows holders of accounts with digital assets to give access to these accounts to fiduciaries. A digital asset is an electronic record in which an individual has a right or interest. It also provides immunity from liability for custodians of accounts that comply with a fiduciary's apparent authorized request for access.
Status: Effective January 13, 2021
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Digital Estate Planning Laws.
Death With Dignity Legislation (a.k.a. Aid-In-Dying or Physician-Assisted Death)
The D.C. Death with Dignity Act went into effect on February 18, 2017; implementation started on June 6, 2017. [Learn more about it here]
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Death With Dignity Legislation.
Organ Donation Registries
POLST (Physician Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment) Form
The District of Columbia Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment (MOST) [Source: DC.gov] . For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state POLST forms.
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Probate Laws.
Estate And Inheritance Tax Rate
- The top estate tax rate is 16 percent (exemption threshold: $5.6 million)
For estate and inheritance tax in other states see our complete list of state-by-state Estate And Inheritance Tax Rates.
- All You Need To Know About Advance DirectivesWhen you can’t make health decisions for yourself, this is the north star...Read more
- Trusts Cheat SheetTrust us when we say this is as basic as we can make Trusts.Read more
- How To Create A Do Not Resuscitate Order (DNR)A DNR is a medical order that states you don't want cardiopulmonary...Read more
- How Organ Donation WorksIf the person who died was a registered organ donor, measures will be taken...Read more