Michigan Health, Legal, And End-Of-Life Resources
Important health, legal, and end-of-life planning forms and information for people living in The Great Lakes State.
Whether you’re planning for yourself or someone else, the resources below are vital when it comes to organizing and settling an estate in Michigan.
Advance Directive Form
Order Death Certificates
Death Certificate instructions for Michigan. For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Death Certificate ordering information.
Digital Estate Planning Laws
Law: HB 5034: The Fiduciary Access To Digital Assets Act
Description: Provides for fiduciary access to digital assets; and to provide for the powers and procedures of the court that has jurisdiction over these matters. Genealogy writer Dick Eastman sums it up best on his blog: "The new law specifically states that all digital assets are bequeathed from one person to the next. It also allows digital information, including social media and website accounts, to be treated like other assets after the owner dies."
Date introduced: October 10, 2015
Status: Approved March 29, 2016; Effective June 27, 2016
Full text: Click here for full text of the Michigan law
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Digital Estate Planning Laws.
Death With Dignity Legislation (a.k.a. Aid-In-Dying or Physician-Assisted Death)
- Michigan has no legislation
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Death With Dignity Legislation.
Organ Donation Registries
MI POST (Michigan Physician Order for Scope of Treatment) Form
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Probate Laws.
Estate And Inheritance Tax Rate
- Michigan has no estate tax or inheritance tax
For estate and inheritance tax in other states see our complete list of state-by-state Estate And Inheritance Tax Rates.
- All You Need To Know About Advance DirectivesWhen you can’t make health decisions for yourself, this is the north star...Read more
- Trusts Cheat SheetTrust us when we say this is as basic as we can make Trusts.Read more
- How To Create A Do Not Resuscitate Order (DNR)A DNR is a medical order that states you don't want cardiopulmonary...Read more
- How Organ Donation WorksIf the person who died was a registered organ donor, measures will be taken...Read more