How To Close A Microsoft Account When Someone Dies
All the information you'll need to delete a Microsoft account.
Service: Microsoft is a technology company offering software and online services, in addition to its Xbox gaming and Surface tablet hardware.
How To Close An Account: There are a number of paid subscriptions accessed by the Microsoft account that must be canceled prior to account closure. Many of those subscriptions can be canceled at the company’s “Billing” section. The rest must be canceled at the respective services’ web sites (example: Xbox.com, Outlook.com, etc…)
1. Sign into the Microsoft account from the Live.com homepage.
2. Under the Account navigation on the left-hand side of the page, click Security & Password.
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click “Close my account.”
4. Click “Next.”
5. Click all check boxes acknowledging that you understand the consequences of canceling the account and select a reason for leaving.
6. Click the “Mark account for closure” button.
Note: Upon completion of the account closure process, a 60-day period begins during which the account may be reopened without loss of data.
- Security Code (optional)
Microsoft overview on closing an account ; Microsoft instructions on closing an account
Note: If you don't have the required information listed above, please refer to the following article: What Happens To My Email Accounts When I Die?
Related Article: How To Close Online Accounts
- Task: Get Your Passwords OrganizedThe typical person has an average of over 130 different online accounts,...Read more
- Digital Cheat Sheet: How To Create A Digital...What happens to your digital property after you die? Great question! Here's...Read more
- Task: Grant Access To Your DevicesIn case of an emergency, how could someone you trust access your phone?Read more
- Task: Clean Up Your Phone ContactsWe’re all familiar with naming an emergency contact if something happens,...Read more