California Health, Legal, And End-Of-Life Resources
Important health, legal, and end-of-life planning forms and information for people living in The Golden State.
Whether you’re planning for yourself or someone else, the resources below are vital when it comes to organizing and settling an estate in California.
Advance Directive Form
Download the Advance Directive form for California. For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Advance Directive forms.
Order Death Certificates
Death Certificate instructions for California. For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Death Certificate ordering information.
Digital Estate Planning Laws
Law: AB-691 Revised Uniform Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Act
Description: This law authorizes a decedent’s personal representative or trustee to access and manage digital assets and electronic communications.
Status: This was approved by the Governor and filed with the Secretary of State on September 24, 2016.
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Digital Estate Planning Laws.
Death With Dignity Legislation (a.k.a. Aid-In-Dying or Physician-Assisted Death)
- Assembly Bill ABx2 15 titled "End of Life Option Act" was signed into law on October 5, 2015. The Bill authorizes "an adult who meets certain qualifications, and who has been determined by his or her attending physician to be suffering from a terminal disease, as defined, to make a request for a drug prescribed pursuant to these provisions for the purpose of ending his or her life." [Text of full Bill]
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Death With Dignity Legislation.
Organ Donation Registries
California Organ Donation registry official link. For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Organ Donation registries.
POLST (Physician Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment) Form
Download the POLST form for California residents. For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state POLST forms.
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Probate Laws.
Estate And Inheritance Tax Rate
- California has no estate tax or inheritance tax
For estate and inheritance tax in other states see our complete list of state-by-state Estate And Inheritance Tax Rates.
- All You Need To Know About Advance DirectivesWhen you can’t make health decisions for yourself, this is the north star...Read more
- Trusts Cheat SheetTrust us when we say this is as basic as we can make Trusts.Read more
- How To Create A Do Not Resuscitate Order (DNR)A DNR is a medical order that states you don't want cardiopulmonary...Read more
- How Organ Donation WorksIf the person who died was a registered organ donor, measures will be taken...Read more