Skip to content
Everplans Logo

What To Do If Death Occurs At A Nursing Home Or Assisted Living Facility

The staff at the care facility will notify you of the death and your first call should be to a funeral home to coordinate the removal of the body.

Working With A Funeral Director To Complete The Death Certificate

The staff at the care facility will likely be able to begin the process of issuing a death certificate, though you will need a licensed funeral director to complete the death certificate and remove the body from the care facility.

Removing The Body From The Residence

Legally, most assisted living or convalescent care facilities must remove the body from their premises immediately. This means that you will need to engage the services of a funeral director very quickly.

To find a funeral home, use our resource Guide: Finding a Funeral Home.

  • Funeral Planning
  • Settling an Estate
Related Content