Task: Find All Your IDs & Vital Documents
In a world that’s becoming overwhelmingly digital, some of the most important and official things we own are still printed on paper or require some sort of physical ID.
While a few are ornamental certificates meant to be displayed (like a college degree), others are extremely crucial when you need them. We’ve broken this task into two steps.
Locate the following things (NOTE: If you don’t have or need the ID or document listed, skip to the next item on the list):
- Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Documentation / Green Card / Visa
- Driver’s License / Non-Driver’s ID
- Military ID
- Social Security Card
- Work ID
- High School Diploma
- College/University Diploma
- Religious Confirmation Certificate
- Professional or Trade Certifications or Designation (technical degree, doctorate, masters, etc.)
- Adoption Papers
- Marriage Certificate
- Divorce Decree
- Military Discharge Papers
Document where you keep all these documents, and store the ones that you don’t need on a regular basis (like a birth certificate) in the same place so they’re easy to find. While you’re at it, take a digital photo and upload it to the Personal Info and IDs section of an Everplan.
The Purpose Of This Task
Beyond getting organized and making you run all over the house: If you had a difficult time locating any of the things listed above, imagine if someone close to you had to try and find it because you weren’t around. Would they have to spend days, weeks, or months searching?
Take some time and scan the list again. You might even want to set some reminders of things you need to do, like renew that passport or driver’s license for when we can all travel again.
- Task: Get Your Passwords OrganizedThe typical person has an average of over 130 different online accounts,...Read more
- Digital Cheat Sheet: How To Create A Digital...What happens to your digital property after you die? Great question! Here's...Read more
- Task: Grant Access To Your DevicesIn case of an emergency, how could someone you trust access your phone?Read more
- Task: Clean Up Your Phone ContactsWe’re all familiar with naming an emergency contact if something happens,...Read more