Massachusetts Health, Legal, And End-Of-Life Resources
Important health, legal, and end-of-life planning forms and information for people living in The Bay State.
Whether you’re planning for yourself or someone else, the resources below are vital when it comes to organizing and settling an estate in Massachusetts.
Advance Directive Form
Order Death Certificates
Death Certificate instructions for Massachusetts. For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Death Certificate ordering information.
Digital Estate Planning Laws
Law: HD 3489 Revised Uniform Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Act
Description: This legislation has been introduced in Massachusetts but hasn't been approved yet.
Status: The pending legislation lists January 1, 2020 as the effective date
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Digital Estate Planning Laws.
Death With Dignity Legislation (a.k.a. Aid-In-Dying or Physician-Assisted Death)
- House Bill 1998 titled “An Act Affirming a Terminally Ill Patient’s Right to Compassionate Aid in Dying” was introduced to the Joint Committee on Public Health in January 2013. It has yet to pass.
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Death With Dignity Legislation.
Organ Donation Registries
MOLST (Medical Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment)
Download the MOLST form for Massachusetts residents. For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state POLST forms.
- MGL, Part II, Title II: Descent and Distribution, Wills, Estates of Deceased Persons and Absentees, Guardianship, Conservatorship and Trusts
For other states, see our complete list of state-by-state Probate Laws.
Estate And Inheritance Tax Rate
- The top estate tax rate is 16 percent (exemption threshold: $1 million)
For estate and inheritance tax in other states see our complete list of state-by-state Estate And Inheritance Tax Rates.
- All You Need To Know About Advance DirectivesWhen you can’t make health decisions for yourself, this is the north star...Read more
- Trusts Cheat SheetTrust us when we say this is as basic as we can make Trusts.Read more
- How To Create A Do Not Resuscitate Order (DNR)A DNR is a medical order that states you don't want cardiopulmonary...Read more
- How Organ Donation WorksIf the person who died was a registered organ donor, measures will be taken...Read more