Service: PayPal is web-based transaction service that allows for the transfer of funds online.
How To Close An Account: There are two types of PayPal account—Personal and Business.
1. Log in to PayPal at the company’s web site.
2. Withdraw all funds remaining in the account by either transferring the balance to an associated bank account or requesting a check (requires a $1.50 USD processing fee), all under the “Withdraw” tab atop the site.
3. Hover over “Profile” at the top of the page and click “My Settings.”
4. Beside “Account type,” click “Close account” and click the “Continue” button on the following page.
5. Provide a reason for leaving (required) and click “Continue.”
6. Click “Continue” to close the account.
How To Close A PayPal Account If You Don't Have The Required Information Listed Above
According to PayPal's Help Center:
Only the account owner can close their account, unless the owner is deceased.
To close the account of someone who died, the estate executor needs to fax the following to (402) 537-5732:
- A cover sheet that states the account holder is deceased and the executor wants to close the PayPal account.
- A copy of the death certificate for the account holder.
- A copy of the deceased account holder's will or legal documentation that provides the information regarding the executor.
- A copy of a photo ID of the executor.
The documentation will be reviewed and, if approved, the account will be closed. If there are funds in the PayPal account, a check will be issued in the account holder's name.
Related Article: How To Close Online Accounts