Service: PayPal is web-based transaction service that allows for the transfer of funds online.
How To Close An Account: There are two types of PayPal account—Personal and Business and you'll need to login in to the company’s web site. Here are the directions on how to close an account:
Before you close your account, make sure to withdraw any money you keep in your PayPal account. You can transfer money electronically to your bank account or ask us to send a check. (There's a $1.50 charge to send a check.) If you have an email address on your account that you haven't confirmed, remove it from your account before you close it.
You can't close your account if there are limitations, unresolved issues, or a balance. Here's how to close your PayPal account:
- Click Settings next to "Log Out."
- Click Close your account under "Account options."
- Enter your bank account number if requested.
- Click Close Account.
Here's what happens when you close your account:
- Any unpaid money requests are automatically canceled.
- You lose any unused redemption codes or coupons.
How To Close A PayPal Account Of A Deceased Relative
According to PayPal's Help Center:
If you are an Executor or administrator of a deceased estate, please follow the guidance below and we can assist with your request.
The following documents will need to be collected and sent to PayPal for review:
- A cover sheet from the Requestor (or a person who is duly appointed or authorized to administer the estate of the deceased customer) identifying the account by the primary email address and request to have PayPal account closed
- A copy of the death certificate for the account holder
- A copy of a government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license, passport or state-issued ID) of the Requestor
- Legal documentation or a copy of the will that identifies the executor of the estate
- State issued documentation if a living will is not present
Please send the documents to our ICA department one of the following ways:
P.O. Box 45950
Omaha, NE 68145
Upon receipt, the documentation and account will be reviewed. Any mailed documentation will be destroyed once reviewed. We cannot return mailed documents.
We can disburse any money that remains in the account in one of the following ways:
- A check in the name of the deceased account holder
- Transfer to the bank account attached to the PayPal account
Related Article: How To Close Online Accounts