A Guide To Buying Green Burial Products
What Makes Burial Products "Green"?
- All finishes and adhesives must not contain any plastics, acrylics, or synthetic polymer materials
- All finishes and adhesives must not release toxic by-products in the facility where the product is manufactured
- Materials must be produced and harvested in environmentally sustainable manners or must be produced using reclaimed or recycled materials
- The transportation of materials to the manufacturer and the transportation of the product to the consumer may not exceed 3000 miles
Green Burial Product Options
For most green burial products, you will have many options in terms of the price style of the products, as well as your own personal preferences. If you're working with a green funeral home, they will likely have a wide selection of green caskets for you to choose from. Many traditional funeral homes, however, will not carry green caskets at all. If the funeral home you're working with doesn't have the product (or price) you want, consider shopping around. Another vendor may have the product or price you are looking for.
According to the Federal Trade Commission’s Funeral Rule, you have the right to purchase any funeral products from the retailer of your choice and the funeral home must use those products without additional charge. So if you'll be purchasing a casket from an outside vendor, you are legally allowed to use that casket at the funeral home without being charged a fee.
- How To Express Sympathy: What To Say And What...We’ve compiled a list of things to say—and things to avoid saying—when...Read more
- A Quick Overview Of Proper Funeral EtiquetteFunerals are emotionally complex, and knowing how to act can present a...Read more
- 10 Things To Do After A DeathIt’s a difficult time, emotions are raw and there’s a lot to organize.Read more
- What To Wear To A Funeral Or Memorial ServiceIn many cultures black is the traditional color of mourning, however the...Read more