A Guide To Burial Products
If you're planning a burial, there are a number of products you may need to purchase.
In order to facilitate the burial, products you may need include:
Burial Product Options
For most burial products, there should be many options for you to choose from, depending on price, style, and personal preference. If the vendor you are shopping with doesn't have the product or price you want, consider shopping around—another vendor is likely to have the product or price you're looking for.
To learn about your options for caskets, see our article Caskets.
To determine if you'd prefer a burial vault or a grave liner, see our article Burial Vaults and Grave Liners.
According to the Federal Trade Commission’s Funeral Rule, you have the right to purchase any funeral products (such as a casket, urn, flowers, etc.) from the retailer of your choice and the funeral home must use those products without additional charge. However, the cemetery, which is not covered by the Funeral Rule, may charge you a fee for bringing in products from outside vendors.
Green Burial Products
The basic features of green burial products include:
- All finishes and adhesives must not contain any plastics, acrylics, or synthetic polymer materials
- All finishes and adhesives must not release toxic by-products in the facility where the product is manufactured
- Materials must be produced and harvested in environmentally sustainable manners or must be produced using reclaimed or recycled materials
- The transportation of materials to the manufacturer and the transportation of the product to the consumer may not exceed 3000 miles
To learn about green caskets, see our article Green Caskets.
To learn about green headstones, see our article Green Headstones and Grave Markers.
To find a green funeral home, use our resource Guide: Finding a Green Funeral Home.
- Paying Final Bills, Dues, And Estate ExpensesIn order to settle the estate, all outstanding bills and dues that the...Read more
- How To Express Sympathy: What To Say And What...We’ve compiled a list of things to say—and things to avoid saying—when...Read more
- A Quick Overview Of Proper Funeral EtiquetteFunerals are emotionally complex, and knowing how to act can present a...Read more
- 10 Things To Do After A DeathIt’s a difficult time, emotions are raw and there’s a lot to organize.Read more