We stand with our community in response to COVID-19.
Organize and share your most critical information using the free Everplans Just-In-Case List

What To Do If Death Occurs While Serving In The Military

This article on grief support & loss is provided by Everplans — The web's leading resource for planning and organizing your life. Create, store and share important documents that your loved ones might need. Find out more about Everplans »

If death occurs while serving in the United States military, the primary next of kin—either the spouse if the person is married or the parents if the person is not married—will be notified by a Casualty Notification Officer of the Army Casualty and Memorial Affairs Operations Center.

A Casualty Assistance Officer will be provided to the family and will assist in the return of remains and belongings, planning of funeral and memorial services, filing for benefits and entitlements, and relocation of military family members. For more information see the U.S. Army's Guide For Families of Fallen Soldiers

State-By-State Health, Legal, And End-Of-Life Resources

Grief Support & Loss

Related Topics