What To Do If Death Occurs Out Of The Country

This article on dealing with death is provided by Everplans — The web's leading resource for planning and organizing your life. Create, store and share important documents that your loved ones might need. Find out more about Everplans »

Depending on exactly where the death occurs, local requirements and protocols can differ greatly.

The first thing to do is to contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the area and notify them of the death; they will know what to do and can help you coordinate procedures even if you are not present.

Contacting The Office Of Overseas Citizen Services

The Office of Overseas Citizen Services in the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs can be reached at 1-888-407-4747 if calling from the U.S. or Canada, or 202-501-4444 if calling from overseas. For more information, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

State-By-State Health, Legal, And End-Of-Life Resources

Dealing with Death