Overview: In Rhode Island you must fill out two separate forms to have a complete Advance Directive: A Living Will called "Declaration of Desire For A Natural Death" and a "Durable Power for Healthcare" (a.k.a. Health Care Proxy).
Required Information for the Living Will: You and two (2) witnesses must sign your RI Living Will for it to be considered valid. The witnesses CAN NOT be related to you by blood or marriage.
Required Information for Naming a Health Care Proxy: Your signature must be Notarized OR two (2) witnesses must sign your RI Health Care Proxy form for it to be considered valid.
Witnesses MUST be:
- At least eighteen (18) years old
- A Rhode Island resident
Witnesses CAN NOT be:
- A person you designate as your agent or alternate agent
- A health care provider
- An employee of a health care provider
- The operator of a community care facility
- An employee of an operator of a community care facility
Remember to add your completed form to your Everplan!