Idaho Death Certificate
Below is the information you'll need in order to obtain a death certificate in Idaho, including qualifications, cost, required information, where to submit your application, and a link to the application you'll need to fill out.
Only immediate family members, their legal representative, or those who provide documentation showing it is needed for their property right may order death certificates. Immediate family includes:
Proof of relation/legal representation may be required. Step-relatives, in-laws, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. are not immediate family as defined by Idaho Statute.
Each certified copy of a death certificate is $14.00. Certified copies are computer-generated and are valid for most legal purposes. If the requested certificate cannot be found a Statement of Search will be issued. A certified photocopy (not computer-generated) of a death certificate can be ordered for $19.00; each additional certified photocopy of that record, ordered at the same time, is $14.00. Make checks or money orders payable to "Idaho Vital Records."
If you would like to expedite your order, please include a one-time charge of $5.00 (per order) and write "RUSH" on the outside of your envelope. There is no shipping charge for regular mail. If express mail is desired, you may express mail your request to the Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics and include a prepaid express mail envelope back to yourself. Cash is not accepted. Fees are not refundable.
- Your name
- Your address
- Your phone number
- Your relationship to the deceased
- Purpose for the certificate
- Front and back photocopy of a current government-issued signed picture ID
- Full name of the deceased
- Date of death
- City of death
- Number of copies you are requesting
Approved forms of identification include:
- Driver’s License
- State ID Card
- Tribal ID Card
- Concealed Weapons Permit
- Prison ID Card
Submitting Your Request
Send the completed application and the appropriate fee to:
Idaho Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0036
Download the Application
See our complete list of resources for Idaho.
- All You Need To Know About Advance DirectivesWhen you can’t make health decisions for yourself, this is the north star...Read more
- Trusts Cheat SheetTrust us when we say this is as basic as we can make Trusts.Read more
- How To Create A Do Not Resuscitate Order (DNR)A DNR is a medical order that states you don't want cardiopulmonary...Read more
- How Organ Donation WorksIf the person who died was a registered organ donor, measures will be taken...Read more