Even if you are feeling reluctant to move, try to take a clear-eyed look at the facility, and ask yourself the following questions:
- Does the layout of the facility make it easy for you to get around?
- Do the doorways and walkways accommodate walkers or wheelchairs?
- Are there elevators as an alternative to stairs?
- Does the facility have an outdoor area?
- Do the rooms have features you desire, such as windows, kitchenettes, bathroom handrails, etc?
- Are the common rooms clean and well maintained?
- Does the facility offer activities or clubs that you’re interested in?
- Does the facility provide scheduled transportation or on-demand transportation?
- Does the facility provide housekeeping and laundry services?
- How are medications handled? Are residents allowed to self-administer medications? If residents need assistance managing medications, how is this done?
- How are medical emergencies handled?
- How are non-emergency medical situations handled?
- How are visits from physical therapists, occupational therapists, medical specialists, and physicians scheduled?
- What degree of medical care does the facility provide, and at what point would you need to move to another type of care facility?
- Do people working at the facility seem warm and welcoming?
- Do staff members interact with residents kindly and respectfully? Do staff members refer to residents by their names?
- Do staff members seem helpful and attentive?
Residents And Facility Culture
- Do current residents seem happy and comfortable?
- Do residents socialize with each other?
- Are you able to talk with residents about their experience at the facility?
- If you are considering sharing a room, do you think you and your roommate will get along? If not, are there other options for who you might be able to live with?
- Does the menu appeal to you?
- If you have religious or medical dietary needs, can the kitchen accommodate you?
- Do you have the option of eating in your room rather than in the dining room?
- Can you bring non-resident guests to dinner?
- Is alcohol served at meals?