How To Purchase Flowers For The Service
The funeral home you are working with will offer to handle the flower arrangements for you, in the form of a cash advance. This can be very helpful, as the funeral home will have experience in providing flower arrangements and can take this task off your plate. You may also purchase flowers yourself through a local florist or an online vendor. The funeral home will not charge you a fee for bringing in your own flowers.
To purchase flowers online, use our resource Guide: Purchasing Flowers.
Types Of Funeral Flower Arrangements
Traditional funeral flower arrangements include:
- Casket sprays, which cover a casket
- Standing sprays, which are displayed on an easel and shaped in the form of bouquets, wreaths, hearts, crosses, and other shapes
- Bouquets in baskets or vases
Depending on the types of flower arrangements and the number of arrangements you'll be purchasing, the cost of funeral flowers can be very expensive.
- Casket sprays range in price from $100 to $800
- Standing sprays range in price from $100 to $500
- Bouquets range in price from $50 to $250
If you cannot afford to purchase lots of flowers, or if you don't want to spend money on flowers, you might consider using any flowers that are given as gifts for the funeral service, or asking friends or family members to help provide flowers for the service.
While many religions support the presence of flowers at a funeral or memorial service, it is customary in some religions for flowers to not be a part of the ceremony (such as in Judaism). If you are planning a religious funeral and you're not sure of the religion's position of flowers, it's best to check with your religious leader or see our article Religious Funeral Traditions.
What To Do With Flowers After The Service
After a funeral or memorial service, there may be many flower arrangements left over. You have many options for what to do with these arrangements:
- Take the flowers home
- Offer flowers to other family members, friends, or guests
- Leave flowers at the funeral or memorial service location
- Bring flowers to the gravesite, or ask the funeral director to do so
- Donate the flowers to a hospital, nursing home, or religious organization
Thanking People For Purchasing Flowers As A Gift
A thank-you note should be sent to anyone who has purchased flowers for you, your family, or the service. Most flower arrangements will come with a note indicating the sender, which you should collect and save so that you'll know whom to thank. The collection of these notes or cards is a task that may be best suited to a friend or family member.
Related reading: The Meaning Behind 8 Different Types Of Popular Funeral Flowers